Boat Accident - Steps to Take
What to do in a Boat Accident
Hopefully, you'll never be involved in a boating accident. However, if you find yourself faced with a boat accident, here's what you should do:
- Make sure everyone onboard is okay and that your vessel is not in danger of sinking or catching on fire.
- If other boats and/or individuals were involved, obtain the names, phone numbers and email addresses of any passengers involved, as well as any witnesses available.
- Call O’Ryan Marine, at 425-485-2871, for an emergency tow. We can also bring a rental trailer to the nearest launch and offer emergency, on-water services.
- Bring your boat into O’Ryan Marine for detailed photos and an estimate.
- Call your insurance company to get the process started and open a claim.
If you file a claim with your insurance company, here's a general guideline of what you can expect:
- The insurance company is going to ask you to get an estimate. O’Ryan Marine will work up an estimate for you, either at our Redmond Shop or dockside.
- The insurance company is going to send down an adjuster to look at your boat.
- The adjuster will review the estimate by O’Ryan Marine and pass along the information to your insurance company.
- Once your insurance issues the reimbursement check, you will either sign the check over to O’Ryan Marine or pay us directly, whichever is easiest for you. O'Ryan Marine takes the headache out of the boat repair process.
The process of sending the adjuster out to view the boat and the insurance issuing the check can take 4-6 weeks with the insurance.
- Payment must be made in full before any repairs will begin. This is because if an insurance company has any additional questions about the accident and requires an adjuster to re-evaluate the boat, the insurance company can choose to not issue payment if repairs have already been started on the boat.
- Payment must be made in full before we special order any parts, engines or supplies since these cannot be returned to the manufacturer.